mandag 1. februar 2016

A vintage inspired dining room rolling cart

Phuuu.... that was a long sentence, but it describes my new piece of furniture so well!
(I left out the swearing and cursing that occured while putting it together...)

I had my heart set on making a vintage looking cart/shelving for our dining room after seeing ALOT of pictures on line. At the end, I sortet it out to these three images, wich was my inspiration.


Left: Cherished Bliss, top right: Dear Lillie, bottom right: Restoration Hardware

I came across this cart on Jennifers blog Dear Lillie, where she actually wrote a tutorial on how she made it. And beeing the "in with a spoon" kind of girl I am, I went for the tutorial. It seemed so easy peesy! I even went to the lumber store on my own, chopped of the right lenghts for the materien there and then, went home and went at it. It was a "hag" putting together!  My numero uno mistake was using TWO pieces of wood for each shelf (because the lumber shop didnt have the correct width on the lumber I actually needed. So I ended up having to be very creative as to how I would make it hold together. Wich I did....
If you look veeeeery closely to MY cart,  (please dont!) you would actually see that it is quite lopsided,  the shelves are bending upwards on the middle, some are bending down, and I had to screw it to the wall so it wont fall over. BUT, it allso looks kind of amazing. Pluss, I made it on my own!!
I would really like to make another one some time later, and do it with the right material. But for now it is ok. Pluss it is great to play around with when it comes to staging all my ironstone, linens and nick nacks. Is it to much?....

I put brackets on the corner, wich I pre-painted with Miss Mustard Seeds Typewriter. Its the perfect matt black on metal. The shelves are stained in a washed out water based stain that we have used on a lot of other home made furnitures. The metal X helps keeping the whole thing a little better together. In fact, I wasnt sure I wanted to use the metal band or dowels like Jennifer did in her tutorial, I kind of regret now that I didnt..... Just so you know.

But all in all, it is a great piece, and gives that touch of countryside that I like so much.























Linking up with


7 kommentarer:

  1. I love this it turned out great! Sharing on FB. Thanks for linking up to The Talk of the Town link party.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you Becky! So glad you liked it ��

      Slett
  2. Loved that you proceeded despite not having the exact materials! It turned out great and I appreciated your sharing the problems you incurred and the solutions you came up with. Thanks for an inspiring project idea.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thabk you! There was no stopping to me once I had my mind set on making it, even though I knew there would be some bumps in the way. So glad you liked it:)

      Slett
  3. Love it! It turned out great!

    SvarSlett
  4. Hei og takk for kommentar hos meg;)
    Så mye kult du lager og maler, godt at det er "flere" av oss som holder på;)
    Fine kvelden til deg!
    Silje Marie;)

    SvarSlett

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are all very apreciated!