mandag 10. november 2014

And there it is, in all it`s glory!

A couple weeks ago, this came in to my life. And things started to happen. My brain started filling up with crazy ideas (just ask my husband), I took my husband to our local wood retailer, with the single purpose of buying firewood. But suddenly, he found him self at a large table, sawing material for a new top to my latest finding. "This was a trap..." he said. "I know" I said,  giving him the eye.

But suddenly my idea wasnt so crazy after all, and by the end of the day, our new sideboard had a new top!

I had spent about a week finishing the paint on it, including sanding and waxing. However, it looked like the kind of wax I had, wasnt ideal for this light color that I had picked for the milk paint. I have used this wax on lots of other furniture, but somehow, it turned out more "dirty" then I had hoped for. And I freaked when I realised that I had made it TO dirty! The color of the wax was a light-ish brown, and I think I should have used one that was a little more on the black side? I dont know. All in all I ended up being a lot more careful with the colored wax then usual, and focusing more on the sanding and distressing, which worked out great, in my opinion!







I decided to not do anything with the inside, because the shelfes are so lovely in their original material. You can really see that they are like a 100 years old! And I love that look!


I think the decision of putting in chicken wire was ingenious. I spent quite som time on Pinterest, trying to find some pictures that would back up my idea, because hubby was not so convinced. But, seeing that I have had success in my other makeovers and experiements, he gave up and let me have my way. Yaaay!... I think I achieved the rustic cottage style that I was going for.
When the chicken wire was all in place, I said: "What do you think, dear? You must admit it looks great?!" And then he said: "Please ask me after I`ve stopped bleading..."

What do you think?


After taking it all in, I realise I am in love with this piece, and it is a great feeling walking in to our dining room every morning, thinking: "wow! I did that!" Sorry peeps, I intend to brag about this for quite some time;)


Shared over at

6 kommentarer:

  1. The final result is just amazing! I too love walking around the house, ''admiring'' our projects! :)

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you for youre nice comment Diana!

      Slett
  2. gorgeous love it, i hope you bandaged your husband ha ha xx

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you monkey! Yes, he was in need of a bandage:p

      Slett
  3. Hi Tone and thanks so much for leaving me a sweet comment on my blog Little Brags. How fun to have you stop by from Norway...LOL.....I tried to reply directly to your comment but you came up as a non reply blogger. You did a super great job refurbishing the cabinet. I will take a class on Annie Sloan chalk paint next week, after that I will be working on repainting my very first piece of furniture.....xooxox Christine

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi Christine! Thanks for stopping by:) I would love to see what you will make after youre Annie Sloane class! How exiting:)
      I`m a non-reply blogger? How do I change that???

      Slett

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are all very apreciated!